Saturday, May 1, 2010

Another one off the list

Well, it is only two weeks until I tick the next one for this year off the list.
It is an endurance event, where I am going to run 100ks in a day, actually, hopefully 20 hours. It is called the North Face 100.
Here is some information from the web site for the event:
The highly-anticipated 100km endurance running test-piece, staged in heart of the rugged and spectacular Blue Mountains National Park, is set to return. Lock it in the calendar, lace-up your running shoes, it’s time to start training!

For the third consecutive year, The North Face invites runners of all kinds to step up and take on one of the toughest running events of the year, The North Face 100. An event that is certainly not for the faint hearted, or only elite runners, but is open to all those brave and willing enough to submit their selves to the ultimate endurance running challenge.

A glance over the starting line of The North Face 100 reveals a mixed bag of runners from ultra-marathon aficionados in search of the ultimate test-piece, to seasoned road marathoners making the transition to off-road trails, and probably the biggest bunch of all - recreational runners with an adventurous spirit, a desire to explore their personal limits, and achieve something incredible.
It is a really exciting event, and one that I can't wait to get through. Pumped.
To save me blogging too much about it here, see below the information from another blog that I write about the endurance events that I am completing.
Go to www.antonguinea.com.au for more blogs, or more motivational products.
Here it is:
Well, yesterday, it is only 14 days until we will be running 100 kms as part of the North Face 100 trail running event on May 15 and 16. So, the big question is, am I ready. I think the answer to this question is very philosophical. Are you ever ready to run 100 kms (and walk some, of course)?

I think the answer lies in - well, what are you trying to achieve? See, there is no way, that I would be ready to win the race - 5 weeks training probably is not enough time for that. The next goal that the organisers set is a 14 hour mark. So, if you win, you get a gold belt buckle, if you finish within 14 hours, you get a silver belt buckle. Then, the clincher, if you finish within 20 hours, you get a bronze belt buckle. Apparently, they are a sought after item, these things.

So, the question really is not whether you can finish or not, but what time you can finish in. It might take you 28 hours (the cut off time) - but you have still finished.

To be even more specific, my question is - am I ready to finish this thing in 20 hours and get a bronze belt buckle. I think yes. Actually, it is a big yes. I am quite confident that the work I have done will get me over the line. Also, Marc is going to run all the way with me, to make sure I don't die trying. That will be very handy, for sure.

This week, working at a remote mine site, restricts the training time. Last week involved a 35km run on Sunday, in 3.38 (not too bad), then 5 x 10 km runs from Wednesday to Sunday at average pace. I had one ride with Julie (wife) which was fun, but then, two mornings on the exercise bike was very uncomfortable, and tightened up my legs. I regret then, now, but hey, you can't look back.

Next week will be some 15 km runs, and 10 km runs, through to Sunday, where I will do 40 kms and test my nutrition plan for the North Face 100, to make sure it will work.

Overall, how is my body travelling:

1. Mentally, yep, all good, very positive, and ready for the challenge
2. Physically, average, not as good. Hammies are tight, but that can be fixed with stretching. Knee is playing up, under the knee cap - more stretching required. Slight blistering from my inserts last night. Nothing major. Overall, nothing physical to stop the run, that is for sure. NO EXCUSES.

By the way, Marc did a 110 km run overnight, as part of a Relay for Life event in Kiama, NSW. He is a machine (and 50 years old by the way). Go the boy. Very impressive.

So, what happens after the North Face 100 - well it is about 9 weeks then until a 96km walk, as part of the Kokoda Challenge on the Gold Coast. That will be a little bit of running, also, so the training will help there, too. Two weeks later, it is up for an 18 run as part of the Gladstone, QLD, Relay for Life. This year, I aim to run 100k as part of that race. Last year, I ran/walked 80 kms, so want to go 20 km better this year. Bring that on.

Then it is triathlon season, with a half ironman and ironman down for later in the year, with an Olympic Distance triathlon in between them. Pumped. Bring all that on. It is certainly panning out to be a big year of endurance.

Marc and I are actually looking at the Racing the Planet series over the next four year. Pumped about that too. That involved 5 x 50 km runs in 5 days at different places around the world. Very excited.


Anyway, until next time, keep ticking them off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment